1. Loans are made to persons employed by or otherwise affiliated to a university or museum. Other persons may borrow material if they have a long-standing connection to our museum. Students should ask his or her supervisor to sign the loan form.
2. Loan form consists of three copies. Copy # 1 is sent under separate cover to the same address as the loan. This copy should be signed and returned as soon as possible after reception of the material. Copy # 2 is enclosed with the material. This copy stays with the material and should be returned together with the loan. (Copy # 3 is for our records.)
3. Loans usually run for two months. If an extension is needed, approval should be agreed on prior to the date of due.
4. Any treatment or handling that will permanently affect the material, including molecular sampling, should be approved beforehand. Avoid removing labels. However, if this is necessary, always keep labels and specimen together, and attach the old and any new labels as soon as possible to the specimen.
5. Loans should be returned in a perfectly safe way, so that damage to, or loss of specimens is avoided.
6. Type material is lent out on condition that outmost care of the material is provided for. When borrowed specimens are designated type material, this should be clearly pointed out when returning the material. This also applies when specimens are identified, re-named or illustrated in a publication.
7. Our acronym is MZLU. Our accession numbers are composed of a letter L (for Lund) followed by the three last figures of the death year of the specimen, then a slash / and a four figure number. Hence L005/3010 denotes item # 3010 collected in year 2005. Lxxx/ indicates that the year of death is unknown, and Lzzz/ a subfossil.
8. We require two reprints of any publication that includes any data based on material from our collections. (This does not apply to books, when full reference is sufficient).
9. Please, try to identify unnamed specimens and correct erroneous information to improve the scientific value of our collection.
10. These rules also apply to gifts (e.g. samples for molecular studies) in applicable details.
We welcome acknowledgement or reference to our cooperation in any publication that makes use of our collections.